Here you see that the compost is finished. Most of the compost bin is now empty. When I started it was overflowing. I pushed down the garden debris so the bin would hold more. This was taken August 12th after starting at the end of May. The black you see on top poking out under the cardboard is from black trash bags filled with dirt. I used these to cover the compost in order to hold the heat in. This was a very successful composting project in that it happened quickly and I didn’t shred any of the materials. The material around the edges didn’t compost (see below) so I threw that in my compostumbler to finish the process. I took off the wire bin and loaded the finished product into the wheelbarrow and spread it in my garden feeling very satisfied that all those weeds and leaves from the fall were going back into the garden with lots of micro-organisms that are great for the soil. See the post on the Wire Compost Bin Works Great to see how I started. If you are interested in buying or learning more click on the picture below This is a great way to compost autumn leaves as long as you add some greens to the mix. This picture shows the compost after I lifted off the bin. The edges are not composted but the center is really great compost!