What kind of worm compost science education facts are available for us to read? We hear about the benefits of worm composting. I wanted to see some real worm compost science education facts. So I did what everyone else does. I searched on the internet looking for worm composting studies that are backed up by science. As a matter of fact, I came up with a survey done by Griffith University in Brisbane, Australia.
Worm Compost Science Education Facts Based on Science Experiments
Of course I was very excited to find this survey. It was published in the American Eurasian Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Science in 2009. There are pages of References and Further Readings at the end of the article. This is just what I was looking for. There are many worm composting scientific studies which support the benefits of vermicomposting. And this research is happening all over the world.
Summary of Some of the Worm Composting Experiments
I am listing a summary of some of the results listed in this study with their respective page numbers. I can’t possibly list all the studies written about in this paper. So I chose a few that I thought people would be interested in. There are a lot of facts here. Maybe read over this a few times or read a few a day to absorb all this information. It is very exciting about worm compost!! I highly recommend reading this paper yourself for the full impact of the benefits of worm composting.
- Vermicompost is scientifically proven as a “miracle growth promoter. Also a pest protector” from pests and diseases. (p. 14)
- Vermicompost retains nutrients for a long time (p. 14)
- In addition, vermicompost takes nearly half the time of conventional composting. Vermicompost does not require any curing and can be used straightway after production. (p. 16)
- Vermicomposts have a much ‘finer structure’ than ordinary compost and contain nutrients in forms that are readily available for plant uptake. (p. 16)
- Vermicompost have outstanding chemical and biological properties with ‘plant growth regulators’ lacking in other composts. It has significantly larger and ‘diverse microbial populations’ than conventional composts. (p. 16)
- Amylase, lipase, sellulase and chitinase are enzymes contained in vermicompost. These enzymes continue to break down organic matter in the soil to release the nutrients and make them available to plant roots even after they have been excreted. (p. 17)
- Soil treated with vermicompost has significantly more electrical conductivity. (p. 17)
- Worm worked waste and their excretory products can induce excellent plant growth. This has been shown in several reports. 16 references are shown in the footnotes.(p. 17)
As you have just read there is a lot of positive research on worm compost. Please see Worm Composting Science Facts for more results from this Worm Composting Survey.
All of these statements are backed up by scientific studies! After reading all this I want to incorporate more of my worm compost into my garden. And I want to increase the amount of worm compost that I produce to get all these amazing positive effects. I am working on a plan to create regular compost first in my ComposTumbler Compost Bin. Then before it is completely finished, I will put in composting worms to finish off the process. With all the advantages of composting worms, this will make a really great compost. Justen at Veterans Compost does just this. When some of his compost gets to a certain point, he puts it into worm bins to create vermicompost!
Buy My PowerPoint Video, an Intro to Worm Composting!
I have created an informational PowerPoint video turned into a movie, as an Introduction to Worm Composting. It is an excellent narrated presentation using my photos, text and video clips for a great Intro to Worm Composting. I give you a heads up about what mistakes I have made so you won’t have to make them yourself! You can download the Power Point/video to your computer for $1.99 or rent it for $.99. Click on this link which will take you to Gumroad, a secure site, where I sell my products:
- Then click on Rent or Buy depending on which you want to do.
- Lastly, click on “I Want This”. Gumroad processes your payment and then you will be able to download my video.
Here is a preview of my PowerPoint video: the Introduction and Chapter 1: